The Staff Writer/Multimedia Intern supports the efforts of the Manager of Content in managing the content and quality for the website and game day program. This is a writing-intensive position as prospective candidates will publish written material, and should possess strong writing and editing backgrounds. The position will also assist in a few multimedia aspects of the website, including photography and web maintenance. Candidates must be organized, responsible, professional and punctual.
Responsibilities will fall strongly in the creation of written pieces on players, coaches and front office staff members, which will primarily be handled during practices and morning skates. But since the intern will also work with the Marketing, Community Relations and Youth & Amateur Hockey departments to produce written features on those departments’ events, candidates should have flexible schedules to work afternoons, nights and weekends as needed during the time of the internship. Candidates should also expect to attend all home games in a shadowing capacity, assisting with in-game community, marketing and youth & amateur hockey initiatives and post-game stories as needed.
Requirements: Intern must be a junior or senior in college and must take the internship for credit during the Spring 2021 semester. The internship is unpaid. Intern must be pursuing a degree in journalism, creative writing, communications or a related discipline.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
- Assist in the development and implementation of new content ideas
- Prepare feature stories on players, coaches and staff for website and game day publication
- Prepare stories highlighting community, marketing and youth hockey initiatives of the Penguins organization
- Assist with transcripts, proofing, photography and story content for game days
- Help manage day-to-day proofing and quality control of website content
- Intern will interact with executives, players, coaches and staff of the Pittsburgh Penguins Hockey Club. The candidates will be expected to act in a professional manner at all times.
- Must be able to work flexible hours including weekends and game nights as assigned.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with emphasis on writing and editing, required. Applicants will be asked to provide writing samples if invited to interview. Previous sports writing experience and knowledge of the Pittsburgh Penguins are a plus.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.